Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Oh JOY, Home Decor


Here is a project done by my friend, Lisa Falduto. Don't you think it's cute. I love the "old" looking jingle bells. So, I said, "Lisa, you have to tell me where you got the letters and the jingle bells, my blog readers will want to know." She said that they came already put together and she got them at Michaels. She said that the letters are wooden and had some other items glued to them. She used adhesive dissolver to get them off and then sanded the whole thing, decorated it up, re-attached the jingle bells (they were already on the wire) and TADAAAA, one fabulous home decor project.

This got me thinking. There are probably lots of Halloween and other craft items on sale right now for one reason or another. They are either ugly, out of season or overstocks. The next time I am at my craft store I am going to walk the aisles with Lisa in mind, saying to myself things like:
1. Does the shape work? If so, can you easily change the color by covering it in paper or repainting.
2. Would this work for fall or Thanksgiving rather than Halloween if I altered it. (Think pumpkins, leaves and bare trees!)
3. Why is this ugly and can you change that part of it?

If you find a bargain craft item and turn it into a work of art, send it to krista@cosmocricket.com and maybe we'll feature your creativity on our blog and/or inspiration gallery on our site.

11 comments:

Jewel said...

This is just adorable! I so appreciate when someone can see beyond an object for a different purpose or sees the potential in what it could become. So inspiring.

Lulu said...

Well it's beautiful! And a good thing to keep in mind about changing things up!

Anonymous said...

Great Idea! I actually have a retail store and something like this would sell very quickly!

Mrs. Nancy G said...

What a fabulous idea!!! Can't wait to go shopping now!

:-)

BethW said...

I always buy after the holidays for the next year. I try to be strong and hold out until it's 90% off. A lot of Christmas stuff can be reworked easily for Valentine's day. This however is not always a good thing. If you spend $100 at 90% off-you end up with an enormous amount of STUFF! And if you do it annually-need I say more. We had to buy a shed just for the Halloween.

Houston said...

Super cute, I just did a JOY wall hanging with Oh Joy too. I like the snowflake in the middle that really is cute!

Julie said...

nanabeth,

You should start an etsy shop. You could sell off your extras and make some cash for your next spending spree!

ScrapMomOf2 said...

These are fantastic! That's usually what I go to garage sales for . . . interesting items that I can alter. This year I haven't been to too many good ones though. The garage sale season is ending, so maybe next year! I love the idea of hitting the clearance sales and doing the same thing! Great idea!

Patty Williams said...

Gorgeous!

Dawne Carlisle said...

That Lisa is one talented gal! Beautiful project! TFS!

Rita S. said...

Love it! Lisa is the queen of looking beyond the exterior to the altered beauty that lies within! ;-)