OK, I wanted to make an entire flock of these cards and maybe I still will. It took me a little longer this morning to figure out how to make the wire holder than I had planned (the feet need to be bigger than expected to get him to stand up!).
If I find the time, I'll do a photo tutorial of how to make the holder, but for now, here is how to make the bird.
1. Start with a square of paper. I used a 5"square, but I've also made these with 6" and 4" squares. They are really cute as page embellishments done tiny!
2. Fold that square in half, corner to corner. I used a piece of yellow Prism cardstock as a base, but it's not necessary..... just depends on what you want. If you do use a base, and you want the patterned paper to set inside a tad, instead of folding along the center, cut just 1/8-1/4" off center and use the smaller side.
3. For wing, cut a square half the size of the body. So, my wing was 2 1/2" square. Then cut in half, corner to corner.
4. Adhere to body along top edge only. I have done these with just a bead of glue, but sewing is too cute. One tip, I always thread my sewing machine with two spools of thread (sometimes the same color, sometimes different) when sewing on paper. If you do this and set your stitch length to the longest stitch you'll get a fairly hand-done effect.
5. For the beak and tail, I use a 1" square for most sizes. If you are making a really tiny one, you'll want to adjust, but usually 1" works. Cut these along the center like with wing. The only difference between the beak and tail is the way they are turned and the paper they are cut from.
6. Adhere as shown.
7. Find a cute button or brad to use for his little eye.
8. You can make a stand if desired by bending wire. I have also sewn them closed along the front body edge to make a pocket in which to place a special note. Maybe I'll make one of those next to show you.
9. Watch him fly right to the heart of a friend. (OK, was that too corny?)
I just realized it's suppose to be Weigh in Wednesday. I thought today was Tuesday!!! Yes, I am losing it. Anyway, since I've already eaten and stuff I don't want to weigh myself. So, we will play Theigh in Thursday this week! :) Be sure to check back tomorrow!