Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Where Did Those Extra Paper Images Come From Anyway?

I had lots of you email or post that you thought I was tricking with the sneak peek game and that all three options would be released because as someone said, "you had to get those images from somewhere." I did get them from somewhere. My own little head.

When I sit down to design I usually have an idea in mind of how I want the art to turn out. I had this great idea in mind when I started on what was to be the May release. I did three papers then got stuck (these three were not shown because I think I might get unstuck soon). Getting stuck means that I couldn't find a way to develop the beginning set of work into a full release...... or in other words, I was out of ideas.

I started idea number two. This is shown in option C of the game. I actually designed about 12 different papers in this look just trying to get a complete working line. Lindsay thought the first pattern looked like a tsunami hitting a village (he didn't intend this as a compliment). Eric didn't like all the yellow. So, I started over again.

I tried a formal looking line (not shown). I got stuck after two beautiful papers. Then, I tried a completely flat look (this means no texture, distressing, etc). Eric, didn't like it. His sister didn't like it. Lindsay was too afraid at this point to tell me he didn't like it either. I added some distressing and this became what you saw as option A. Still nobody liked it, including myself.

I started over again. I was actually at church (yes I do believe in blessings from heaven) when I noticed a girl sitting slightly behind and to the side of me with a great skirt. It became the inspiration for the line Hello Sunshine.

I guess the moral to the story is try, try, try again and if that fails seek divine inspiration!

7 comments:

Crystal said...

I can't wait to use Hello Sunshine...and I really liked all the papers from the game!

Chris said...

I actually really liked the 3rd option! Hello Sunshine looks wonderful though :)

lfalduto said...

Great story! Does the girl in the skirt know she was your inspiration?

BethW said...

It's a dynamite line to be sure-but I did like the blues/yellows.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Monica Jo said...

What a great story. Love the divine inspiration. I really liked all the papers but I voted for 3 myself. I'm a diehard CC fan, Everything you all come up with is just yummy. I do love the story behind the papers though. Now when I scrap with them I will also be thinking about the labor of love put into their design. Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

Davinie Fiero said...

Love hearing about the design process. I still think A and C have potential, though!